If you have stopped smoking in the past and not felt much of a desire, then you may well fall into the same pattern whenever you make an attempt to ny vape pens . The best way to help yourself when quitting smoking is by deliberately inducing your desire to smoke, so that you can retrain yourself to manage it and consciously accept it. This might look as though you are making things more difficult for yourself, but in fact you are simply facing up to a difficulty that already exists.
Inducing a desire to smoke is a conscious mental exercise. It means deliberately interrupting your thoughts about the other things in your life, and, with your cigarette packet in front of you, focusing on the feelings inside you of wanting to smoke.
There is a reason you are avoiding feeling your desire to smoke: you are no doubt afraid of it because you think it might make you smoke. You see it as an enemy, a nuisance and an unnecessary pain. When you deliberately induce it, you break down this negativity and fear, and turn the desire into something you have power over.
If you find inducing the desire difficult you will need to be creative to really understand how to quit smoking. Watching other smokers light cigarettes can be helpful. Smelling your cigarettes in the packet or, if you used to make your own, rolling one up should produce the desire to smoke. For some people, imagining that they are smoking is the best way to connect with their desire to smoke. If you are really stuck in repression, buying a new pack of your favourite brand and taking the cellophane off may do the trick.
Sometimes people flirt with smoking, testing their limits to the point of putting a cigarette in their mouth and lighting a match. Obviously this is a dangerous game to play when quitting smoking, and, by the way, a game that suggests you feel forbidden to smoke. It’s not necessary to go this far: just looking at cigarettes in the pack should be enough for you to get in touch with your choice and desire to smoke them.
What you are doing is making a connection with the memory of your addiction: the memory stored in your mind that thinks smoking would be wonderful. Adverse thoughts will also be part of that memory, but don’t use them to cancel out your desire because you need to work on accepting the desire, not denying it.
When figuring out how to quit smoking, some people will repress their desire to smoke from the moment they stop smoking. In that case, you will need to pause frequently, perhaps three or four times during each hour, and induce a desire you can really feel. It may take a while to work, but eventually you will feel a strong desire: an empty, uncomfortable sensation that you know would be relieved by smoking a cigarette.
For other people, repression only becomes a problem a few days or weeks after stopping. What happens is that the desire is so persistent at first that it is impossible to repress it, but as it fades in strength and frequency, it becomes increasingly possible to ignore it altogether.
After a few weeks into quitting smoking, you might need to induce your desire to smoke only once or twice a day. But it’s important to do so because it’s only while you stay in touch with your desire to smoke that you can stay in control of it.
Take advantage of familiar situations where you would have smoked, such as the end of a meal, as opportunities to induce your desire. Instead of jumping up from the table to get on with the washing-up, sit there for a while, as you would have done, let yourself feel your desire to smoke and think through your choice not to smoke – for now.
Later on, as you become more familiar with these methods of how to quit smoking, your desire may only last a few seconds, but making a deliberate effort to acknowledge it by inducing it can make the difference between success and failure in the long term.
If you lead a very busy life, inducing your desire will be especially important. Busy people can stop smoking for days or weeks, barely aware of their desire to smoke in the background of their crowded minds. But just because you don’t take the time to deal with it properly, the desire doesn’t vanish; it keeps coming, like a nagging child demanding attention. Or it can suddenly and unexpectedly explode, perhaps at a time of crisis, arid, because your conscious mind hasn’t practiced dealing with it, you can suddenly find yourself on the verge of smoking.
If you stop to induce a desire – and this only takes a few moments – you give your desire the attention it requires. As a result it becomes easy to live with and, most important of all, you are in control of it.
I was a heavy smoker. It did not come to me so easily to quit smoking. I know how to quit smoking because I experienced the struggle to do it. If you need tips of how to quit smoking, you do not see and ask doctors. They know the danger of smoking but, since most of them do not smoke, they do not know how to quit smoking. I am not a doctor. I am a person who has freed himself from the ‘need’ of cigarettes and would like to share what I have done to do it.
Are you aware that smoking is dangerous for you, but you find it hard to quit?
You have to have a motif to quit smoking. If you do not think that smoking is dangerous or bad for you, certainly you do not belong here and you will not be able to even try to quit smoking.These tips are only good when you read and put them into actions as a smoker who wants to quit smoking because it is dangerous or a bad habit.
Even heavy smokers have smoking recess, the moment when their smoking ‘appetite’ disappears. Smoking quit is basically prolonging the smoking recess to an unlimited length of time. This means that smoking desire and recess alternates. Each lasts for different length time. A smoker may enjoy his or her smoking in one, two or three cigarettes at a time depending on how heavy they are as a smoker then the recess will come for different reasons. The recess will end as soon as their desire to smoke rises which would be followed by actually smoking. The secret of quitting smoking is actually fighting the smoking desire by prolonging smoking recess.
So, here are the tips for you.
1. Do not believe in the effectiveness of cutting down. Put cigarettes you have into the rubbish bin or destroy them when you are in your smoking recess. Think that you are doing this for your own sake and people you love around you.
2. Remember that your smoking desire WILL come later in a certain length of time. Do not forget about it or you will not be prepared for it. By remembering it, you will be prepared when it does come.
3. Prolong your smoking recess by doing something positive or healthy you would do for fun. Think of your hobbies. Or, get yourself busy to forget the desire.
4. KEEP IN MIND that many people try to quit smoking and some fail because it is always easier to start smoking again than quit smoking again. So, once you are in the smoking recess state, you have to plant in your own mind the idea that once you ‘tolerate’ your smoking desire by starting smoking again, it will surely be much harder to try to quit again. So, by tolerating your desire, you value your attempt you have been doing to nothing, nil! If you start smoking again, your time of hardship of fighting your desire to smoke that you have been doing is a WASTE OF TIME!
5. When your desire to smoke is so strong you feel you cannot handle it and want to buy some cigarettes, BELIEVE IT that the strength of your desire will soon weaken and finally end in another smoking recess. Do not waste it. This is the core, the top secret of quitting smoking. So, basically you ARE RESISTING THE DESIRE by waiting for the smoking recess state.
6. Drinking water will weaken the smoking desire. It is a good thing itself and so it is to wait for the coming of your smoking recess. Avoid sweet or alcoholic drink since it will only strengthen the desire.
7. Avoid anything that will lead you to tension in your daily life. I am talking about your jobs and relationships. Tension will surely need something to ease it and in most cases of smokers it is smoking.